Chocolate Xiao Long Bao
- 2 cups all purpose flour, plus more for dusting
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1 tbsp & 1 tsp oil
- 80 g dark chocolate, 64%
- 80 g milk chocolate, 47%
- 100 ml milk
- Put flour in a bowl. Make a well in the middle and pour in boiling water and oil.
- Mix with a fork until flour is moistened.
- Transfer to a floured surface and knead for 7-10 minutes or until the dough is smooth.
- Allow to rest for 30 minutes.
- Roll into logs with 1-inch diameter. Cut into ¾ inch pieces.
- Flatten and roll out into a circle about 3 inches diameter.
- Make sure to cover the dough with a towel at all times to prevent it from drying.
- Simmer milk in a heavy bottom saucepot.
- Fold in the hot milk in a bowl with the chocolates. Stir until well until smooth and well combined.
- Place inside the chiller to set completely.
Assembly and cooking
- Fill a piece of rolled dough with a tablespoon of chocolate filling.
- Lift the edges and seal in a circular motion with pleats. After sealing, pinch the top part to seal in all the pleats.
- Repeat with the rest of the ingredients and place on a pan.
- Store in the freezer for at least 30 minutes before steaming to make it firm.
- Steam for 10 to 12 minutes or until cooked. Serve hot.
- Miko Aspiras is a multi-awarded Filipino pastry chef and the genius behind Scout’s Honor, Poison, and Le Petit Souffle. He was a Philippine Tatler T. Dining’s Best Pastry Chef in 2018 and part of Forbes Asia’s 2018 30 Under 30 list. His passion and creativity resulted in numerous iconic desserts – from his layered cakes to the Basque burnt cheesecake.
- We collaborated with Chef Miko Aspiras to create exclusive dessert recipes made especially for the Miele steamer.