Buttermilk Scones with Mixed Berries Jam
Mixed Berries Jam
- 250 g fresh / frozen strawberries
- 250 g fresh / frozen raspberries
- 250 g fresh / frozen blueberries
- 250 g fresh / frozen blackberries
- 1 pc vanilla bean, cut in half, seeds scraped
- 1 pc lemon, juice and zest
- 1 kg white sugar
- 1 kg all purpose flour + more for dusting
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 600 ml heavy cream (35% fat)
- 400 ml buttermilk
- As needed whole milk, for brushing
- As needed mixed berries jam
- As needed crème fraîche / whipped cream
Mixed Berries Jam
- Preheat your Miele Combi Steam Oven to Fan Plus Function at 120°C.
- Place some glass jars and their lids into your Combi Steam Oven to sterilize for 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, mix together all the fresh / frozen berries, vanilla seeds, lemon juice, and lemon zest in a bowl.
- Place the mixture in a food processor to puree. Add the sugar and stir to combine.
- Remove sterilized jars from your Combi Steam Oven and carefully fill with the berries mixture until ⅔ full.
- Place the jars onto a rack or into a perforated steam container, and place inside your Combi Steam Oven on shelf position 2.
- Select Combination mode: Fan Plus at 150°C + 35 minutes + 0% moisture.
- At the end of the cooking time, remove the jars from the Combi Steam Oven and leave to stand for 5 minutes.
- Secure lids onto jars. Leave to cool at room temperature.
- Preheat your Miele Combi Steam Oven to Surround Function at 200°C.
- In a large mixing bowl, sift 1 kg all purpose flour and baking powder.
- In a separate jug, combine heavy cream and buttermilk.
- Make a well in the center of the flour and pour in cream mixture.
- Using a spatula or your hands, lightly bring together to form a wet dough.
- Dust your kitchen bench with flour and gently roll out dough to a 3 cm thickness.
- Cut out scones using a pastry cutter approximately 3 – 4 cm in diameter.
- Place scones onto a greased baking tray with a small gap between each one.
- Allow offcuts to rest for a few minutes before re-rolling until all dough is used.
- Brush the tops of the scones lightly with milk before placing into your Combi Steam Oven.
- Bake on shelf position 3 for 25-30 minutes until golden brown.
- Serve scones with mixed berries jam and crème fraiche / whipped cream.
HINTS AND TIPS
- Cooking time will vary depending on the size of the scones.
- Scones can be baked and frozen then reheated for later consumption.
- The Sterilise Crockery Function can also be used to sterilize preserving jars.
- To test if jam has set correctly, place a tablespoon of jam onto a frozen saucer. It should set within 1 – 2 minutes.
- To make your own buttermilk, simply combine 1 tbsp white vinegar / lemon juice for every 1 cup whole milk. Gently stir and let the mixture sit for about 5 minutes. This will allow the milk to slightly curdle, giving it a buttermilk-like texture and taste.
- From sweet to savoury, from simple to elaborate – our recipe database, developed by Miele culinary experts, contains recipes guaranteed for success! Whether it be a side or main dish, soup or dessert, very spicy or temptingly sweet, our recipes are suitable for any occasion, designed specifically for Miele appliances.