Korean Chicken Wings with Kimchi and Gochujang Mayo
- ½ pc wombok cabbage, 3 cm dice
- 3 tbsp + 1 tbsp salt
- As needed warm water
- 40 g ginger, finely grated
- 4 pcs bird’s eye chili, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp white sugar
- 2 tbsp fish sauce
- 200 g daikon radish, julienned
- 100 g carrot, julienned
- 4 pcs spring onions, finely sliced
- 4 cloves garlic, crushed
Korean Chicken Wings
- 2 tsp ginger, grated
- 2 tsp sesame oil
- 6 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 2 tbsp mirin
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 2 tbsp honey
- 2 cloves garlic, grated
- 1 tbsp gochujang
- 1 kg chicken wings, wings and drumettes separated
- 4 tbsp mayonnaise
- 2 tbsp gochujang
- As needed white sesame seeds
- As needed spring onions, sliced
- Using your Miele Steamer, select the Steam Function at 100°C for 10 minutes. Place a glass fermentation jar inside the steamer to sterilize.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the diced cabbage and 3 tbsp salt. Cover with warm water as needed, to dissolve. Let it stand for 30 minutes. Drain the cabbage onto paper towel-lined baking trays and discard the water. Set aside.
- Combine the grated ginger, chopped bird’s eye chili, white sugar, fish sauce, and 1 tbsp salt in a small bowl. Mix well and set aside.
- In a large bowl, place the drained cabbage, julienned daikon radish, julienned carrots, sliced spring onions, crushed garlic, and seasoning mixture all together. Using plastic gloves or a wooden spoon, mix until the vegetables have released a lot of juices and there is enough brine to cover.
- Transfer the seasoned vegetable mixture to the sterilized fermentation jar and place the lid on. Leave to ferment at room temperature for one week.
- After one week, transfer kimchi to sterilized jars and refrigerate.
Korean Chicken Wings
- Whisk all marinade ingredients together in a bowl. Add the chicken pieces and toss to coat well. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Preheat your Miele Oven to 180°C with the Moisture Plus Function with 3 manual bursts of steam.
- Place an oven rack over a baking tray lined with parchment paper. Spread the marinated chicken pieces evenly on the rack and place it inside the oven on shelf position 3.
- Release 1 burst of steam immediately. Release the second burst after 15 minutes and the third burst after 30 minutes.
- Continue cooking for a further 10 minutes. Remove from the oven and rest for 10 minutes.
- In a small bowl, combine the mayonnaise and gochujang together and mix well. Set aside.
- Transfer the korean chicken wings to a serving platter. Garnish with white sesame seeds and sliced spring onions. Serve with kimchi and gochujang mayo on the side.
HINTS AND TIPS
- Gochujang is a Korean red chili paste available from Korean / Asian grocery stores.
- Kimchi is a staple in Korean cuisine as a traditional side dish made from salted and fermented vegetables. It will keep for up to 1 month in the refrigerator.
- The chicken wings are baked on the wire rack so they crisp all around, preventing the need to turn them while baking.
- From sweet to savoury, from simple to elaborate – our recipe database, developed by Miele culinary experts, contains recipes guaranteed for success! Whether it be a side or main dish, soup or dessert, very spicy or temptingly sweet, our recipes are suitable for any occasion, designed specifically for Miele appliances.